Join the Revolution!
I know what you’re thinking. Great, another person to tell me how I should be teaching. And you’d be right, if that was my purpose. I haven’t even been in the American education system that long (unless your count the 13 years I was receiving an education) and I know that there is always someone telling you what to do or how to do it.
What is Shawesome Education?
Shawesome Education is about helping teachers to unleash their full potential. My guess is that most people did not join the teaching profession because they wanted to be a glorified babysitter. If you did, this is not the site for you.
I bet that you became a teacher because you thought you would do a good job at helping kids reach the next level of their lives.
Unfortunately for many teachers, they lose their way somewhere between student teaching and retirement. So many teachers do what they do because they have to, or because someone told them that is the right thing to do.
But who determines what is right for our kids? Shouldn’t teachers, the experts, be making those decisions?
The reality is that we live in a world that doesn’t value education as much as we would like. With high school dropout success stories like Richard Branson, Jay-Z, and college dropout success stories like Bill Gates, and Steve Jobs, it is difficult for some students to see the value in education.
What many teachers don’t realize is that even though the world has changed dramatically in the last 100 years, education has stagnated. Walk though any high school in America right now and you will most likely see the same thing you did back in 1918: students sitting in rows, facing forward, listening to the teacher lecturing. Some of the worst offenders are in Math and Social Studies.
Teachers teach the same way they were taught, over and over again. It is time to break the cycle. There have always been high achieving teachers who broke the mold. Shawesome Education is about helping ALL teachers find a ways to succeed in the classroom.
What does success look like?
To me, success is simple.
- Students will see the value in their education. Meaning: students will not ask “Why do we need to learn this?”
- Teachers will see the value in what they are teaching. Meaning: teachers will not wonder if they are having an impact on the students. Teachers will see their impact on a daily basis.
- Students will learn valuable skills that will serve them later in life. Meaning: 21st Century skills that they will need, no matter if they choose to attend college or enter the workforce.
- Teachers will be happy. There’s no hidden meaning here. If teachers are happy and love what they do, students will learn and grow PERIOD. (Do I need to include the actual period after the word period? I clearly didn’t pay enough attention in English class)
- Last, but most certainly not least: Students AND teachers will have FUN. Is that a dirty word? I don’t think so. Imagine the things you learned when you were a kid that you’ll never forget: riding a bike, playing an instrument, or learning a sport. When you are having fun, you always learn more. It is time for teachers to take this lesson to heart.
So how do we do this?
Ever since I realized that I was stuck in the rut of “traditional” education, I have been working to discover what the “perfect” classroom looks like. (Pro tip: don’t use quotes twice in a sentence, people don’t take you seriously.) I have learned a lot in my short time as a Shawesome Educator and I want to share what I’ve learned with you.
This will be a process. Ask anyone that has ever worked with me and they will tell you that I am relentless at perfecting my craft. I am not the best teacher. I don’t have all the answers. I try many different strategies. But at the end of the day, my students know that I am trying to help them do two things:
2. Enjoy the learning.
My teaching isn’t perfect and it may never be, but that doesn’t mean I shouldn’t try. Join me on my journey to revolutionize education!