Hello! My name is Dustin Shaw, founder of Shawesome Education.
I have a Bachelor’s Degree in History and a Master’s Degree in Education from Truman State University. I have been a teacher for six years. I have taught math and social studies. In math I have taught everything from Algebra I all the way to AP Calculus. In social studies I have focused mainly on US History and Government. Not that you needed to know what is on my resume, I wanted you to know that I am not some random dude that knows nothing about education.
I started this site because I believe teaching is the most unsupported profession in America. There are so many teachers out there that want to do well and want to help their students succeed, but they don’t know how. That’s where I come in.
I want to help teachers be the best versions of themselves, without driving themselves insane. I truly believe there is a happy medium where all teachers can succeed and thrive.
What is funny about teaching is that it happens everywhere. I mention the education system, but there is an entire workforce dedicated to training new corporate employees. Who says they can’t teach more effectively too?
What about the parents who want to help their kids explore their interests while furthering their education?
What about the blogger that wants to help people but doesn’t know the most effective way to teach? We are all teachers in some respect.
And the reality is: teaching is hard. My goal is to make your life easier. My site will feature successes as well as failures to help you along your journey to be the best teacher you can be.
All teachers want their students to be successful. I’m here to make sure you’re successful.
Random Facts About Dustin:
- I am the oldest of five boys. My mom and dad’s last try for a girl, they got two boys. We’re terrible at basketball, so don’t ask about our team.
- I am a St. Louis Cardinals fan until the end.
- After five years of dating, I married a Peruvian princess. She’s not actually a princess, but I give her trouble about that all the time.
- I love cats and dogs. But cats are like little ninjas, and I think they are hilarious.
- I am working on my Spanish, based on the post above about my Peruvian wife. If you would like to speak to me in Spanish I’d love the chance to practice. Just be prepared for a conversation with a third grader.
- My wife and I have two cats: Flo and Arthur. Unfortunately, we never call them that. Flo is called Mocha or Mochi, Arthur usually responds to “bad boy.” I still don’t understand why.
- After watching the show “Justified,” I noticed a fairly distinct southern accent in my voice.
- I never listen to music anymore. I get so bored it’s not even funny. My car rides consist of audiobooks and podcasts, and I love every second of it. If you haven’t downloaded OverDrive, you should.
- If you can’t tell, all of the professional photos I have of myself are from my wedding. I apologize for not inviting you.
- If I grow up to be half the man my father is, I will have accomplished everything I need to in life.